Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
Nido Qubein

Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.
Warren Buffett


Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A city of heros

I like most others watched with amazement the airplane that landed in the Hudson River a couple of weeks ago. Being home, I watched the whole scene live for several hours in the afternoon. It was the most incredible thing, turning the plane, missing the bridge by 900ft, having no boats in the way of the landing plane, everyone standing on the wing being rescued almost immediately, there can be absolutely no doubt that God's hand was holding those people and clearing the way that day.

The fact that this all happened just days before the inaguration of President Obama seemed to have been perfect timing, after a campaign of hope and change this seemed to be a tangible manifestation for the world to see. It goes without saying that the flight crew are all heros, from getting the plane down, to getting everyone off the plane safely, but it doesn't stop there, the ferry drivers, the emergency crews, it was like they were finally allowed to do what they were trained to, yet unable to do after Sept 11, 2001. I think people's nature is to help and be good and the people of New York were finally able to do that. One thing I remember from Sept 11, 2001 is first responders saying that they had triages set up, but nobody was coming, I think they all felt like they hadn't helped as much as they could or would have like to. There are so many heros in this story, including passengers who it seemed behaved with unbelievable grace helping each other. We've all stood and waited to get off an airplane and have wondered if people could be moving any slower, it is incredible that with the panic that there must have been that all 155 people managed to get off the plane in minutes.

Still weeks later I'm speechless when I think about this, the very best of human nature.

No comments: