Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
Nido Qubein

Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.
Warren Buffett


Friday, October 24, 2008

Pointing out the Obvious

I don't know whether you have to spend as many hours as I do with people with dementia to find this as hilarious as I do, but here goes.

My residents know who the staff are, not our names or why we are there, but they recognise us as belonging. Similarily, they often don't know what day it is, or where they are or what city they are in, sometimes they are more clear than others, as was evident today.

Here is how the conversation went:

Resident: Where are you going?
Staff: I'm going home.
Resident: What? (she is VERY deaf)
Staff: I am going HOME.
Resident: What?
Staff: I am going to Regina.
Resident: (with a frown on her face) Well you are already IN REGINA!!

That had me laughing all afternoon, and it makes me laugh again just reading it.

No comments: