Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
Nido Qubein

Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.
Warren Buffett


Tuesday, June 30, 2009

CNN

Mum asked why I watch the american news channel CNN, some of you know why. I don't watch everything on CNN, just a certain show.

This week it has all been about Michael Jackson of course, having watched interviews with seemingly everyone who ever came across MJ in his life I've come to a couple of conclusions.

I really don't think he was guilty of child molestation, guilty of bad judgement, guilty of being socially immature, absolutely, but I really think that the trials were all about money and if you are unsure, you should read about the families who sued, not exactly upstanding citizens themselves.

I think his childhood was so incredibly tragic that he didn't ever know what it was like to be himself, he was always "Michael Jackson" the performer. I saw a protion of an interview he did with Oprah and this was his quote.



When I had school, it would be three hours with a tutor and right after that I would go to the recording studio and record for hours and hours until it was time to go to sleep, it would be nighttime. And going to the recording studio there was a park across the street and I'd see all the children playing and they would be rooting and making noise and I would cry and it would make me sad that I would have to go and work instead. There is a lot of sadness about my past life and adolescence, and my father and all those things, it just made me very very very sad.


I think it is really sad for a child to grow up like this, most entertainers have a choice about being in the public eye, he didn't have a choice at all, it started when he was 5 and he didn't have any private time after that. I really think that his facination and love for children came from the fact that he didn't have any childhood himself and because children didn't want things from him, didn't expect him to be a certain way, and just accepted who he was as he was.

I think as much as we might not want to agree, I challenge anyone of my generation to try to say they didn't own at least one of his records, know all the words to one of his songs, dance to one of his songs at a school dance, or have some kind of memory that includes his music.

I am sorry for his children, and I'm sad he is gone, but maybe for the first time in 50 years, he is sleeping well and at peace.

No comments: