Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
Nido Qubein

Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.
Warren Buffett


Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why I go to work each day

Today I was doing a reminiscing group with the residents with dementias. We talked about animals and farms and riding horses etc. We had a really nice chat and then one of my residents who is usually fairly reserved and keeps to herself says "Today is such a good day, thank you for bringing back all those memories." It brought tears to my eyes.

After that the hairdresser came and asked me to help her, I went and she had my lovely Olive in her room and she was trying to perm her hair, she had to rinse the perm out of her hair and Olive was NOT cooperating. The hairdresser told me that Olive would hit me because she was very angry, I said that she wouldn't hit me. Poor Olive is blind and I'm sure that no one was explaining to her what was happening and what was going to happen next. I went in and sat in front of her, held her hands and told her I was there and explained that we had to wash the "shampoo" out of her hair and she needed to lean her head back, I said that I would stay with her and she'd be ok. She leaned her head back for me and let the hairdresser rinse her hair out, I talked to her the whole time telling her that she would be ok and that it was nearly over. She was very good but still very angry, while her hair is being rinsed she says to me, "I'm going to kill that woman (the hairdresser), I'm going to kill her.... (pause)... maybe you can kill her for me." LOL

No comments: