Well today is election day, not for us, but I would suspect that most Canadians know more about American Politics than Canadian Politics. I couldn't tell you who my member of parliment are, but I could tell you who the Democrats and Republicans are in the US, and could tell you their running mates and probably even the people they ran against to win the ballot for their parties. I know about their backgrounds and family lives, I know the names of Sarah Palin's children and the tragedies that Joe Biden has overcome in his life. I know the names and faces of the wives of the two men running for president, but I absolutely could not tell you who our prime minister is married to, if he is even married.
I am so tired of this election, I'm tired of hearing about who might win, about who associates with who, and about who will be better for the country, I don't think we'll really know what the right decision would have been until their term is almost over.
I do wonder though, if Americans have the right idea, maybe if we had a system like they do people would know more about our politicians, maybe they should be putting their faces on television more. Would we watch Red Green if Steven Harper was on it? How about Michaƫlle Jean on This Hour has 22 minutes. I have a certain friend who I'm sure would watch if any of them were on with George Stroumboulopoulos.
The news today was saying that Americans were lining up for 6 hours to vote. The weather lady said her sister was getting up at 4am so she could vote and get to work on time. Wow, the Canadian voter turnout for the election of Oct 14 was 59.1% which means only a little over 1/2 of the people in this country bothered to vote, and I would bet that 90% of them didn't have to wait any longer than an hour at a polling station. (but I could be wrong) I just can't see anyone (myself included) really standing waiting 6 hours to vote. Why are we so apathetic when it comes to our politics? The talk at work was that no one was going to vote for "the french guys"...lol.
Well, only a few more hours and we'll know who won, and a few more days and we'll know if the voting machines were rigged or not. I myself am just wanting to get back to my regular scheduled programming.
No comments:
Post a Comment